Lecture 7 in my Psychological Significance of the Biblical Stories series.
Life at the individual and the societal level is punctuated by crisis and catastrophe. This stark truth finds its narrative representation in the widely-distributed universal motif of the flood. Mircea Eliade, the great Romanian historian of religion, noted that flood stories identify two reasons for the destruction: (1) the tendency of complex things to fall apart of their own accord; (2) the proclivity of human beings to speed up that process by sinning, or missing the mark (by engaging in self-evident corruption, or by failing to attend to what cries out for attention). The Genesis story clearly states that Noah and his family are to be spared from impending disaster because Noah “walks with God,” as Adam did before the Fall. In this lecture, the 7th in the series, I intermingle the story of Noah and his survival with elements of the Sermon on the Mount, making the effort to explain to a modern audience why careful moral attitude and behavior comprises the best defense against “the righteous anger of God.”
- 12 Rules for Life Live Tour: www.jordanbpeterson.com/events
- My new book: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos: jordanbpeterson.com/12-rules-for-life
- My first book: Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief: jordanbpeterson.com/maps-of-meaning
- Dr Jordan B Peterson Website: jordanbpeterson.com/
- Self Authoring Suite: selfauthoring.com/
- Understand Myself personality test: understandmyself.com/
- Blog: jordanbpeterson.com/blog/
- Podcast: jordanbpeterson.com/podcast/
- Reading List: jordanbpeterson.com/great-books/
- Twitter: twitter.com/jordanbpeterson
- Support This Podcast: jordanbpeterson.com/donate/
That walking with God part is spelled out in the phrase “perfect in his generations”. In the Days of Noah the way of all flesh was corrupted by reason of the descent of the B’nai h’Elohim – the sons of God (or gods) on Mt Hermon in the time of Jared. They sired upon the women of the human race a species of hybrid Nephilim giants. And the giants were ruling over the people of the ante-Deluvian world. They were the master race. All ancient cultures tell this story btw.
With the technology of the Fallen, human society under the Nephilim kings became very advanced and there was a full blown trans-human project underway that involved the corruption of all species – changing them into angel, human/animal hybrids which the author of the Bible calls ‘abominations’.
The family of Noah alone: Mr and Mrs Noah and their three sons were uncorrupted by this project and represented the Adamic race. The wives of the three sons, however, had some problem genetics which is why giants began to appear in generations of Noah’s grandchildren. We are not talking about humans with glandular problems here but a hybrid race with angelic/human DNA.
The mad scientists of today are after that DNA for reasons you might guess.
Thank you for providing these in an audio only format. They’re perfect material for those long train rides!