I spoke today with author Gregg Hurwitz (more information about him below). Hurwitz is currently working to rebrand the Democratic party, working to produce an issues-oriented, anti-corruption, practical mainstream narrative and to identify promising Democratic candidates who can hold their own in long form political discussions.
This is all in an attempt to end the dangerous polarization and concentration on ever more extreme ideology that seems to be destabilizing political discussion.
The video is in large part an invitation to the long-form discussion providers of the so-called Intellectual Dark Web to engage with such candidates, so that the public can see beyond the sound bites and spin and impression management and message crafting that has become an integral but pathological part of our traditional low-bandwidth media communication technology.
Let’s see if we can find political candidates who can shine in a three hour discussion. We’re done with the oversimplifications of the traditional media forms.
Background: Gregg Hurwitz is the New York Times, #1 internationally bestselling author of 20 thrillers, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019), and two award-winning thriller novels for teens. His novels have won numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages. Gregg has written screenplays for or sold spec scripts to many of the major studios (including THE BOOK OF HENRY), and written, developed, and produced television for various networks. He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman, Penguin). He has published numerous academic articles on Shakespeare, taught fiction writing in the USC English Department, and guest lectured for UCLA, and for Harvard in the United States and internationally. In the course of researching his thrillers, he has sneaked onto demolition ranges with Navy SEALs, swum with sharks in the Galápagos, and gone undercover into mind-control cults. Hurwitz grew up in the Bay Area. While completing a BA from Harvard and a master’s from Trinity College, Oxford in Shakespearean tragedy, he wrote his first novel. He was the undergraduate scholar-athlete of the year at Harvard for his pole-vaulting exploits, and played college soccer in England, where he was a Knox fellow.
He has increasingly turned his attention to the political sphere, in an effort to end polarizing discourse:
– Rebranding the entire Democratic party
– Working with a number of candidates and entities, from senators to the DNC/DCCC/DLCC
– Effort to get away from gridlock and into solutions
- 12 Rules for Life Live Tour: www.jordanbpeterson.com/events
- My new book: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos: jordanbpeterson.com/12-rules-for-life
- My first book: Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief: jordanbpeterson.com/maps-of-meaning
- Dr Jordan B Peterson Website: jordanbpeterson.com/
- Self Authoring Suite: selfauthoring.com/
- Understand Myself personality test: understandmyself.com/
- Blog: jordanbpeterson.com/blog/
- Podcast: jordanbpeterson.com/podcast/
- Reading List: jordanbpeterson.com/great-books/
- Twitter: twitter.com/jordanbpeterson
- Support This Podcast: jordanbpeterson.com/donate/